As temperatures dip into the single digits here in Ohio, water pipes can freeze and possibly burst resulting in a wet mess that needs immediate attention. If your faced with broken pipes, knowing what to do can save you a lot of grief and money. Here are some things to know if it happens to you.
Shut it Off
Do you know where to find your main water supply and how to turn it off? Knowing this beforehand in invaluable should a worst case scenario happen. Cutting off the flow of water as quickly as possible will help to minimize the damage.
Assess the Damage
- Quickly assess the extent of the damage
- If the leak resulted in a large amount of water, it’s probably best to contact a provider experienced in water damage clean-up
- Remove items from the area
- Sort items based on what can be restored and what needs to be discarded.
- Keep in mind that water damaged items require appropriate cleanup and can lead to mold growth if not properly treated
Dry it Out
- Mold growth can begin within 48 hours – through drying is critical
- Quickly remove all water
- Dry the area completely using a combination of fans, ventilation and dehumidifiers
- Carpeted areas – Carpet should be pulled back and a high-powered fan utilized to dry out the underside.
Burst water Pipes? We can Help!
- 24/7 Emergency Service
- Water Removal & Clean-up
- Mold Remediation
- Content Assessment and Restoration
- We offer SteraMist™ BIT™ technology: Eliminates dangerous pathogens that cause infection from mold